The binary file will allow you to pass the output from the first reducer to
the second mapper. For example, if you outputed Text, IntWritable from the
first one in SequenceFileOutputFormat, then you are able to retrieve Text,
IntWritable input at the head of the second mapper. The idea of chaining is
that you know what kind of output the first reducer is going to give
already, and that you want to perform some secondary operation on it.

One last thing on chaining jobs: it's often worth looking to see if you can
consolidate all of your separate map and reduce tasks into a single
map/reduce operation. There are many situations where it is more intuitive
to write a number of map/reduce operations and chain them together, but more
efficient to have just a single operation.

--
Roger Chen
UC Davis Genome Center