Did you mean 0.20.2?
If so then Wow, that is a bit of a stumper.  Line 200 of BZip2Codec.java is the
following

196:    public void write(int b) throws IOException {
197:      if (needsReset) {
198:        internalReset();
199:      }
200:      this.output.write(b);
201:   }

So it must be that the output stream itself(this.output) is null (or this is
null which would mean that java itself has something very wrong with it).  So
it looks like for some reason the output stream for the spill file is coming
back as null, but if I look at the code for IFile, where the output stream is
created
      this.checksumOut = new IFileOutputStream(out);
      if (codec != null) {
        this.compressor = CodecPool.getCompressor(codec);
        this.compressor.reset();
        this.compressedOut = codec.createOutputStream(checksumOut, compressor);

I don't see any way that checksumOut could be null.  There may have been some
sort of an optimization with in IFileOutputStream, but I really don't see how.

You might want to look at how full the disks are on the nodes that it is
failing on.  You might also want to check to see if any records were output by
these mappers at all, because this is failing on close, and it would be very
interesting to see if anything else was output to the IFile before this?

--Bobby Evans