Mike,

The mapred.* API has been undeprecated and continues to be the stable
API. In 1.0.0, the new API is/was unfinished and lacks a lot of ports
from the mapred.lib.* components. This is being addressed by
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAPREDUCE-3607 if you are
interested in backporting as well.

For Hadoop-1, which is but a rename of the 0.20.x branch and not
higher than 0.21/etc., the recommendation is still to use the older,
stable API. This will continue to be supported in 0.23 and maybe
beyond so there should be no worry in switching to it.

--
Harsh J
Customer Ops. Engineer, Cloudera