If that is the case then these two lines should make more than enough
memory. On a virtually unused cluster.

job.getConfiguration().setInt("io.sort.mb", 2048);
job.getConfiguration().set("mapred.map.child.java.opts", "-Xmx3072M");

Such that a conversion from 1GB of CSV Text to binary primitives should fit
easily. but java still throws a heap error even when there is 25 GB of
memory free.