If your are:
1. using TextInputFormat.
2.all input files are ends with certain suffix like ".gz"
3.the custom CompressionCodec already register  in configuration and
getDefaultExtension return the same suffix like as describe in 2.

the nothing else you need to do.
hadoop will deal with it automatically.

that means the input key&value in map method are already decompress.

But,if the origin files dose not end with certain suffix,you need to write
your own inputformat or subclass TextInputFormat , override the
createRecordReader method which return your own RecordReader.
the InputSplit pass to the InputFormat is actually FileInputSplit,which you
can retrieve the input file path.

you may also take a look at the isSplitable method declared
in InputFormat,if your files are not splitable.

for more detail,refer to the TextInputFormat class implementation.