Hi folks,

Just for some background, there are a few ways that maps can be added to
the warper:

Currently - similar to the crop tool - images are added manually from
Commons and processed by hand by a user.

There is an admin batch import functionality where images can be imported
from a directory of images on the warper server.

There is sysadmin import script where images can be imported again, from a
directory.

There is a sysadmin script which can add Ground Control Points to a number
of maps from a CSV file.

There is an API where images can be added, control points added and maps
georeferenced by a script.

In instances where the Warper software is in an institution, the Warper has
been able to read from an external repository, add the metadata, and import
images when requested, and imported images en mass from a database import
and finished import when requested.

So there's a few ways that things can be done :-)

Specifics:
> I don't understand why you would want to create a big blue button.  Isn't
it easier just to have batch added the identified maps to Warper already?

To help understanding, perhaps think of it as allowing a Commons user
interested in a particular map, or group of maps to actively help that map,
by allowing them to partake in the whole process.  So I think we are
assuming that a User is a Commons user first, not a generic historical maps
user. However, the important word from that last sentence is "first" - It's
the first step!

In other words, to enable the user to do the whole process is the initial
way that it would work but of course it's very possible to change. This is
the first incarnation, so to speak!

This touches on the other feature - that of search and discovery. How do we
envisage thinking about how users can find all maps within a 20 miles of my
location? etc How then would that work with the Commons and with the
Warper...These features are all very cool and interesting, but are not
effortless to do. So there needs to be something that can easily be done
first before the next steps can happen :-)

> 2.  For the program to function, do the images *need* to be physically
duplicated over to the Labs server?  Could it not just pull them, when it
needs to display them, from a Commons link instead?

The images need to be duplicated over. They are quickly retrieved via URL
from the commons link when needed. It could be possible to just store the
original images on Commons, it would require a bit of dev work.
Nevertheless it would need to store the rectified images somewhere and then
there's the question of how to display georectified maps at scale - as
cached tiles on a fast server, for example...

Cheers,

Tim