Svetlana, thanks for suggestion. I think we should create a portal similar
to the Structured Data one, and put some examples there.  Deciding on the
name is difficult :)   "Commons Datasets" does sound good.

There has been a very prolonged discussion on where to host this feature -
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Yurik/Storing_data. Wikidata would
have been a good choice, but users expect all the data there to be in
public domain, and we may add more licensing choices later.

> An inline example with English commentary -- straight on the first page about
this new technology without making users click links -- could be nice. The
text you typed up does not seem to be on a wiki page, so I am unable to
edit it...

Which page are you referring to?