Fawcett, David wrote:
Did you go with CGI or MapScript?  Care to share a snippet?

Still, here are all the steps in one place. Hopefully this will get archived and spidered, and the next Google user will have an easier time than I did! (though a missing - sign in my coords was the true culprit in many of my tribulations)

I used Mapserver's built-in CGI query mechanism, as it provides sufficient abstraction to automagically convert latlon and layer into a image file and pixel, even crossing tileindexes. That would've been 90% of the hard stuff, done already!

The mapfile does need a query template for the raster layer, as is documented:
LAYER
  NAME "avhrr"
  STATUS on
  TYPE raster
  DATA "AVHRR_SST/avhrr-today.tif"
  TEMPLATE "/maps/wms/pixel.template.html"
END

And pixel.template.html is simply this one word, the raw pixel value from whatever point was selected, from band 0.
[value_0]

The query was intended, as you can see, for a given latlon as opposed to a point-click and pixels within an image of known height. And since this was within PHP, I really did want to use 'localhost'

http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/maps/wms/sst.map&mode=query&layers=%s&mapxy=%f+%f

Now in PHP, I simply do file_get_contents($url) and I have the raw pixel value. In many cases, the pixel value is not the same as the desired data value but that conversion varies with your particular dataset.

--
Gregor Mosheh / Greg Allensworth, BS, A+
System Administrator

 only if you can restore." - AMANDA