IMHO, I believe that you can replicate the functionalities of those two commercial software products by writing your own scripts in whatever OSS solution you choose. Lots of work and know-how is required. While in Image Server for example, you just run some wizard-like UIs and get the job done much easier. But don't take my word for that, I'm one of the "experts" that believe that you *can* load and server images from a database server.
Best regards,
Ivan

Intengu Technologies wrote:
Hello

I understand that most experts are saying it is far better not to load
images in a database but rather to serve them from a file based system.
There are two commercial products that I know of ER Mapper - Image Web
Server and ArcGIS Image Server what OSS products provide comparable
functionalities.  If these are available are there any bench mark studies
done and also I would like to integrate such products with ArcGIS Server.