Jeff,

This is a good work around, but I think we need to ask the questions:

  What is the expected behavior?
  Is this a bug, should it be a bug?
  Should this behavior be documented?
  Should this be bugged for 5.2 freeze?

Clearly some code is translating the © for the GD renderer.

Adding cc: mapserver-dev, let me know If you want to to generate a bug based on this and assign it to 5.2

-Steve W

Jeff McKenna wrote:
What about using your operating system's character set? For example on windows pressing ALT-0169 gives the copyright sign, and on MAC pressing OPTION-G. So your mapfile snippet is: TEXT "©"

-jeff