William Kyngesburye wrote:
The Mapserver download page has links to old Mapping Hacks RPMs, and a really old FGS bundle.

There's the FWTools, which is supposed to have the latest dev versions of MS and GDAL for almost any 32bit Linux, but I'm not sure I want to put dev versions into a production environment.

Any other ideas? - custom repositories with more up to date, or consistent across Linux systems, version? Building from source would only be an option for the more savvy clients. Maybe something similar to FWTools but with stable versions only?

I definitely want at least MapServer 5 (though I could live with 4.10 in a pinch). GDAL version is more flexible, though it would be good to have the newer Python bindings in 1.5. Other support dependencies are less of a concern (except maybe PROJ).

William,

For system where you can't get reliable pre-made packages, I'd encourage use
of FGS.  It is intended for that role.  There has been a bunch of work recently
to update FGS to more recent versions of the various packages.

FGS could definately benefit from more assistance.

Best regards,