Hi,

Are you using WMS?In the document "WMS servers with MapServer"
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/wms_server
reads:
#
Layer Name and wms_title metadata:
Every individual layer needs its own unique name and title. Layer names are
also used in GetMap and GetFeatureInfo requests to refer to layers that should
be included in the map output and in the query. Layer names must start with a
letter when setting up a WMS server (layer names should not start with a digit
or have spaces in them).

I believe that spaces in layer names are not allowed by WMS standard, but I may
be wrong.  I do also believe that MapServer cgi supports them, at least I can
find example map files with layers named like "my layer".

-Jukka Rahkonen-