Hello again,

I think I found the cause of my problem - on my server (where I had preprocessed all of my imagery), I have libgeotiff-1.2.4 installed from the F8 repositories. On my laptop I had libgeotiff-1.2.3 installed from source. I upgraded my laptop to libgeotiff-1.2.4 (I tried 1.2.5, but it didn't compile for me), and recompiled gdal and mapserver. Now it seems that imagery renders okay (after some quick tests). I didn't realize I had different libgeotiff library versions...but it also hadn't occurred to me that a GeoTiff dataset might be incompatible with different versions of libgeotiff.

So should I maybe close the ticket that I opened earlier today?

Mike

Mike Leahy wrote:
Ok, I'll file a ticket shortly...but I have a few more things I've tried that might add insight to this. It seems if I load the map via cgi mapserver, I get the same problems - so this isn't limited to mapscript. In contrast, I don't seem to have any trouble with the output values if I extract a single pixel from an image using gdal_translate to a *.grd file (at the same coordinates where I get corrupt results from mapscript/mapserver) - so the problem doesn't seem to be with gdal by itself.

Also, I can point out that the corrupted areas in the output have no coincidence with tile-index boundaries. I say this out because if I render a layer from a non-tiled image dataset, the corrupted areas appear as horizontal bands across the entire width of the image output, rather than rectangular areas (though my non-tiled dataset is a single-band floating-point DEM, rather than an rgb image). However, as before, the height and number of lines of each band is variable.

Maybe it's just time to upgrade my OS (F7 is EOL after all).

Regards,
Mike

Tamas Szekeres wrote:
Mike,

It's quite difficult to find out what's going on. You should file a
ticket including the example and sample data. Probably the problem may
be reproduced in other machines as well.

Best regards,

Tamas