On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 6:16 PM, Christopher Schmidt
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 05:21:48PM -0600, Richard Greenwood wrote:
>> > Type the following:
>> >
>> >  new OpenLayers.LonLat(-71,42).transform(new
>> >  OpenLayers.Projection("EPSG:4326"), new
>> >  OpenLayers.Projection("EPSG:900913"));
>>
>> I know I'll get slammed for this, but it should be something more like:
>>
>> new OpenLayers.LonLat(-71,42).transform(new
>> OpenLayers.CS("EPSG:4326"), new
>> OpenLayers.CS("EPSG:900913"));
>>
>> Because EPSG:4326 is not a Projection, it is a Coordinate System.
>
> I don't mind you saying that, but the user should realize that when you
> say "Should Be" you're not not instructing what he should actually be
> doing in his current code, since the OpenLayers Library uses
> OpenLayers.Projection, not OpenLayers.CS.

Yes, you are quite right about that. I did not mean to imply that
OpenLayers.CS worked, I was picking at nomenclature.

> I'd recommend if you care about this issue, you should bring it up with
> the OpenLayers development list, but I wouldn't bother; getting people
> to undestand "Projection" is hard enough. (ANd why should it be CS
> instead of CRS? or SRS? Or any number of other names that it could be
> related to?)

CS, CRS, SRS are all great - they cover spherical & projected
coordinate systems, and include datums. Projections are just
projections w/o datums.

--
Richard Greenwood
[EMAIL PROTECTED]