Answering my own question, here's what I found:

At first I had installed the php5 apache module, then quickly remembered CGI would be better and installed that. I thought I had uninstalled the php module, but I was mistaken. So all this time PHP was running as the Apache module.

I got PHP CGI running and now the WMS request loadparams() works. Apparently WMS doesn't work on PHP as Apache module (my OSX system uses PHP CGI). Or maybe there is a way to make it work? (though I don't really care now that I have PHP CGI running)