Jeff,

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008, Jeff McKenna wrote:

Arthur A. Person wrote:
Hi...

I'm trying to convert .e00 international boundary files into shapefile format using ogr2ogr, but when I run the conversion, ogr2ogr just hangs and hogs the processor. Here's the details:

OS:  RH Linux 4.7 (2.6.9-78.0.8.ELsmp)
gdal:  1.5.1 basic

command: ogr2ogr -f "ESRI Shapefile" bound.shp bound.e00

output:
  ERROR 6: Can't create fields of type IntegerList on shapefile layers.

  ERROR 6: Can't create fields of type IntegerList on shapefile layers.

  (then hangs hogging the processor...)

Even though ogr2ogr hangs, it still produces a bunch of files including a bound.shp file. However, when I try to display that file using mapserver, it just produces a blank screen.

output from ogrinfo for bound.e00:
  Had to open data source read-only.
  INFO: Open of `bound.e00'
        using driver `AVCBin' successful.
  1: ARC (Line String)
  2: CNT (Point)
  3: LAB (Point)
  4: PAL (Polygon)

The bound.e00 file I'm using for testing is the North American Atlas political boundaries file from nationalatlas.gov.

On a related note, does anyone know whether an open source file of international political/land boundaries exists that would save me the work of trying to combine a bunch of individual files together? I've searched high and low and can't seem to find anything...

                     Thanks...

                       Art

I don't believe e00 write access is supported by OGR (http://www.gdal.org/ogr/drv_avce00.html), so I would use the AVCE00 library (http://avce00.maptools.org/avce00/index.html) to convert to coverage and then ogr2ogr to shapefile.

Okay... I did an avcimport of the bounds.e00 file and got a bunch of new files. Then I did the ogr2ogr on that, and it ran and finished. And, it pops up in mapserver like it's supposed to. A bit mysterious to me, but your suggestion worked. Thanks for the help...

                            Art

happy holidays all.

--
Jeff McKenna
FOSS4G Consulting and Training Services

Arthur A. Person
Research Assistant, System Administrator
Penn State Department of Meteorology
email:  per...@meteo.psu.edu, phone:  814-863-1563