In tracking why our connections to SDE for Raster wasn't working, I noticed that the same string for gdal_translate doesn't work eithor with how we are buildingthings. I know this is a GDAL question and not mapserver, but I hope folks here may know the magic as this may turn out to be similar to my iconv.h build problem.

Type of command line I am trying to make work:

gdal_translate
"SDE:ndevsde_xdm,5150,sde,username,password,PLANT_XDATA.BIO_CA_PLANT_HARDINESS_2000,RASTER"
 a.tif

Equivalent in the mapfile:

CONNECTIONTYPE SDE
DATA
'SDE:ndevsde_xdm,5150,sde,username,password,PLANT_XDATA.BIO_CA_PLANT_HARDINESS_2000,RASTER'

I note that mapserver simply makes a call to GDALOpen() for this connection type, which is why I'm focusing looking at how the GDAL library is built/etc.

Here is how I'm compiling:

bash-3.00$ sh config.status  --recheck
running /bin/sh ./configure --prefix=/server/ndevl18/apache-2.2.9 --with-xerces=/server/ndevl18/apache-2.2.9 --with-sde=/server/ndevl18/arcsde-9.2sp5/sdeexe92/ --with-sde-version=92 --with-oci=yes --with-expat=/server/ndevl18/apache-2.2.9 --with-geos=/server/ndevl18/apache-2.2.9/bin/geos-config

..
configure: checking whether we should include ESRI SDE support...
checking for main in -lpthread... yes
checking for main in -lsocket... no
checking for main in -ldl... yes
        using ESRI SDE from /server/ndevl18/arcsde-9.2sp5/sdeexe92/.
  SDE support:               yes

After config runs I have a GDALmake.opt file which contains:

#
# SDE
#
HAVE_SDE = yes
SDE_LIB = -L/server/ndevl18/arcsde-9.2sp5/sdeexe92//lib -lsde -lpe -lsg
-lpthread -ldl
SDE_INC = -I/server/ndevl18/arcsde-9.2sp5/sdeexe92//include

When I build everything and try what I've seen work elsewhere I get:

./apps/gdal_translate "SDE:ndevsde_xdm,5150,sde,username,password,PLANT_XDATA.BIO_CA_PLANT_HARDINESS_2000,RASTER" a.tif ERROR 4: `SDE:ndevsde_xdm,5150,sde,username,password,PLANT_XDATA.BIO_CA_PLANT_HARDINESS_2000,RASTER' does not exist in the file system,
and is not recognised as a supported dataset name.

GDALOpen failed - 4
`SDE:ndevsde_xdm,5150,sde,username,password,PLANT_XDATA.BIO_CA_PLANT_HARDINESS_2000,RASTER' does not exist in the file system,
and is not recognised as a supported dataset name.

Quick thoughts?  Is there something I've thus far been missing?
 Should I be asking in the GDAL lists instead?

Note: All this building/testing/etc are on RHEL4 machines. We are trying to create a build environment where we include the libraries we need, and are less dependant on the OS library versions/etc.

 Please help us tell the Canadian Parliament to protect our property
 rights as owners of Information Technology. Sign the petition!
 http://digital-copyright.ca/petition/ict/     http://KillBillC61.ca

  manufacturers, can pry control over my camcorder, computer,
  home theatre, or portable media player from my cold dead hands!"