Dear list members

I would like ask how map files for multilingual applications are handled by mapserver users.

Multilingual information may impact the map in various ways. As by now, those come to mind:

* Fix strings in the map file, (NAME, DESCRIPTION etc)
* Database borne data, changing column for different languages as for LABELITEM * Queries changing with language, so that DATA/FILTER statements must be adapted to the current language (e.g. WHERE lang_id='en').

What we are currently doing is to write the mapfiles like:

   CLASS
       NAME "IT:Progetti linee|DE:Projekte Linien"
       SYMBOL 'circle'
       SIZE 3
       COLOR 0 0 255
   END

   METADATA
       "DESCRIPTION" "IT:Progetti|DE:Projekte"
   END

   LABELITEM "IT:gemi|DE:gemd"

and modify the labels through Mapscript before rendering the map. This works if the map file is processed by Mapscript, whereas it would not work for CGI and W*S services. We would need a map file for each language for those services.

How do you handle i18n in MapServer?

Regards,

Peter

--