On Mon, Jun 01, 2009 at 05:20:25PM +0300, Adrian Popa wrote:
> Hello Christopher,
>
> Your example has the elements that I need :) Is this basic functionality
> included in openlayers by default, or is it an addon?
> Also - will openlayers work with mapserver by default - or through WMS
> (I don't have experience with WMS)?

Both, but WMS is highly recommended, because using MapServer as CGI is
prone to hide errors due to misconfiguration. (Setting up WMS requires
only adding:

  metadata
    web
      wms_srs "EPSG:4326"
    end
  end

to your mapfile to work minimally; everything else is optional.)

The recovery map example has a significant amount of code, but it is
using the trunk version of OpenLayers with no additional features. The
UI, some of the popups, the layer addition/removal are all additional
pieces added to that UI, but there are other toolkits (Like GeoExt) that
provide these in open source software as well.

Best Regards,

--
Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta