Jennifer Shanks wrote:
Hello,

I'm having trouble with labels that follow a curve.  When the curves
are tight,  the letters are too close together and appear in a
jumble.  I'm using a true type font arial.  I'd like to space the
characters but don't see an option for that.  What have others done
to solve this problem?  Are there suggestions for other true type
fonts that have a wider spacing?  Any other ideas?

Hi Jennifer,

Unfortunately, I'm unaware of any current way to work around this problem, but Thomas would be the expert on this.

There are couple of issues in dealing with this problem in the code but they have not been implemented mostly because they would have an impact on performance and require time/effort of a developer.

Hi Thomas,

I'm not sure if you have thought about this at all, but here are a few ideas:

1) check that the bbox of the character being placed against the prior character and increase the space between the character if they collide. 2) on segments that double back on themselves, like bowties, you might need to perform the above check on all prior characters, taking more time, to avoid these type of collisions.

These checks might be dynamically enabled/disabled doing a quick scan of the part of the line segment that is being labeled and checking the angle between segments and maybe the length of the segments to see if there may be a need to do additional checking.