Thanks for the response. I am using openlayers and my map does not appear unless layer is STATUS DEFAULT.

I call layer as follows

layer1 = new OpenLayers.Layer.WMS("OpenLayers WMS",
"http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?";, { layers: "testlayer", map: '/ms4w/.../data/tr00.map',
      gutter: 15, minZoomLevel: 1, maxZoomLevel: 10, units:'meters' });

 map.addLayer(layer1);

I only view pink tiles when STATUS ON?

Thanks