Many thanks Alan - I found php-devel in the yum repository on Centos5 and this seems to install a PHP5.2 version. Mapserver configure will produce a mapscript sub-directory with this though, worryingly perhaps, with a "make" in the mapscript directory the php_mapscript.so is generated in a further sub-directory named php3! Hopefully it will be OK.

Alan Boudreault wrote:
If your PHP if pre-installed.... you'll need to install the "developpement" package... which contain header files etc..

In example: the php5 developpement package on a Ubuntu distribution is called: php5-dev

Alan