Hi !

- perspective viewing of terrain (mapserver can't do this)
I don't totally agree with this. ;)
I have been able to use mapserver with WorldWind Java in order to display a raster layer on terrain.
And both (raster and terrain) were served by mapserver.

What, I think, is not possible (and perhaps what you mean) is to have mapserver render the terrain model given a custom viewpoint and serve the result to openlayers.
I think there were some discussion about this some times ago...

Regards,

Benoît Andrieu