On 02/06/2010 9:01 AM, Rahkonen Jukka wrote:
Yewondwossen Assefa wrote:

On 02/06/2010 2:39 AM, paalkr wrote:
Hi!

Thanks! I really don't understand how that poorly formatted
SLD slipped
trough the oxygen XML editor, obviously there are many
close-tags that
misses the backslash.

Do you know if there is a ticket regarding the lack of
error messages when
MapServer fails to either pick up or parse a SLD document?
If not I think
that I will write one, and encourage one of my colleagues
to have a look at
the source and maybe write a patch for it.

   There is an ol one
http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/ticket/1471 that I
just updated. The errors are trapped but at this point we let the WMS
request succeed without the SLD. I believe the correct way
would be to
return an exception.

This needs some consideration.  Think about an end user who is using
somew ready made application which is set to get styles from an external
SLD.  Now if this SLD gets broken, which would you prefer as an user: a
correct exception without a map, or a map which may have wrong styling?
I would take the map.

-Jukka Rahkonen-

I guess it is debatable. I have not seen something in the specs re. this issue. I will send a note to wms-dev list at OGC to see if there is something in the specs that deals with this issue.

best regards,

Assefa Yewondwossen
Software Analyst

Email: yass...@dmsolutions.ca