I have a solution to this, a client had exactly the same problem.
Wanting to use tile mode, but not wanting caching, and wanting
meta-tile flavored rendering results. Here is the ticket:

Note that basically you render and throw away a whole metatile for
every tile you output -- the system is stateless. So it's best to keep
the metatiles small (2x2). But if you have the horsepower to throw at
it you can get real-time metatiled output.

P.