Hi,

I guess that classification has a big effect in your case.  I have been reading
that string comparisons are faster than logical ones.  How about to have a try
by classifying your shapefile and writing the classes directly to a new
attribute field?

This is my scale dependent group, simplified and spiced with some  typos, I
fear.

LAYER
     GROUP "Parcels"
     NAME "all_parcels"
     TYPE POLYGON
     STATUS ON
     DATA "parcels_2008"
     UNITS METERS
     MAXSCALEDENOM 100000
     CLASS
     NAME "parcel_class"
     STYLE
       OUTLINECOLOR 250 0 180
       WIDTH 2
     END
     END
     METADATA
       "ows_include_items" "AREA, PERIMETER"
       "wms_title"    "all_parcels"
       "wms_srs" "EPSG:2393 EPSG:3067 EPSG:4326 EPSG:900913"
     END
     PROJECTION
       "init=epsg:2393"
     END
   END
LAYER
     GROUP "Parcels"
     NAME "ten_percent"
     TYPE POLYGON
     STATUS ON
     DATA "parcels_2008_0"
     UNITS METERS
      MAXSCALEDENOM 1000000
     MINSCALEDENOM 100000
     CLASS
     NAME "parcel_class"
     STYLE
       OUTLINECOLOR 250 0 180
       WIDTH 2
     END
     END
     METADATA
       "ows_include_items" "AREA, PERIMETER"
       "wms_title"    "ten_percent"
       "wms_srs" "EPSG:2393 EPSG:3067 EPSG:4326 EPSG:900913"
     END
     PROJECTION
       "init=epsg:2393"
     END
   END
LAYER
     GROUP "Parcels"
     NAME "one_percent"
     TYPE POLYGON
     STATUS ON
     DATA "parcels_2008_00"
     UNITS METERS
     MINSCALEDENOM 1000000
     CLASS
     NAME "parcel_class"
     STYLE
      # COLOR  240 240 0
       OUTLINECOLOR 250 0 180
       WIDTH 2
     END
     END
     METADATA
       "ows_include_items" "AREA, PERIMETER"
       "wms_title"    "one_percent"
       "wms_srs" "EPSG:2393 EPSG:3067 EPSG:4326 EPSG:900913"
     END
     PROJECTION
       "init=epsg:2393"
     END