So, from what I'm hearing Apache vs. Lighttpd isn't going to make a significant
difference.

Cgi vs. FastCGI very definitely will.

Great.  So how do I get FastCGI working?

There are docs at: http://mapserver.org/optimization/fastcgi.html

They are only getting me part of the way there.

1. I'm seeing two packages, that are available for Apache, mod_fastcgi and
mod_fcgi.  Are these both needed?  Only one needed?  Are they replacements,
alternatives, or entirely unrelated to each other?

2. In the Configuration section of the above doc, it says to modify http.conf
to load the module, and to add a handler.  The Ubuntu packages placed
fastcgi.conf and fastcgi.load in /etc/apache2/mods-available.  I expect that I
simply need to create a link to these in /etcs/apache2/mods-enabled, the way
the others are.

3. The Configuration section also says to add a FastCgiConfig command.  Where
should this be?

I see nothing in that configuration that indicates that it's the mapserv
executable I want to run via fastcgi.