When you get a chance please write a bug against this issue. It seems that there are a few things that need to be fixed:

1. error message is wrong and misleading
2. configure is not finding the libraries
3. configure is not detecting a missing library (iconv) and disabling freetype if the missing lib is required.
4. freetype without iconv should be ok unless this is a new requirement
5. doc needs to be updated as required

Also I would think the a missing -liconv should cause a fatal link error in make.

Thanks,
  -Steve