On 6/16/2011 5:29 AM, Marco Bagni wrote:
You and I (and many more users with the same problem) are facing the
"other side" of the Open Source. Who writes the code and releases it for
public domain, sometimes arranges things in such a way that, elegantly,
the users are "suggested" to turn to his commercial consultancy services
in order to have the information that makes the whole thing work; he has
to put some bread on his table too!
In 15+ years of dealing with Open Source I've never seen a case where information was withheld to force/encourage users to pay for support. BUT I do understand your frustration; people here offer support for free, but there is a limit to how much time they can spend on a problem. The trick is get someone to look at your problem and spend some time on it.

For new users reading this, here is the secret to getting your question answered:

- Do your homework: read the available documentation, work through the tutorials - Know your tools and techniques (especially your operating system command line and security framework)
- When asking a question, try to distill the problem down to a simple case

A more complex question is
    How do we motivate people to do more documentation and support?

Marco, many thanks for your comments; it highlights one of the major challenges of Open Source.

Best Regards,
Brent Fraser