Hi,

The mapfile document http://mapserver.org/mapfile/layer.html is a little bit
unclear about raster tileindex. It made me believe that shapefile tileindex is
the only possibility.

"TILEINDEX<http://mapserver.org/optimization/tileindex.html#tileindex>
[filename|layername]
Name of the tileindex file or layer. A tileindex is similar to an ArcInfo
library index. The tileindex contains polygon features for each tile. The item
that contains the location of the tiled data is given using the TILEITEM
parameter. When a file is used as the tileindex for shapefile or raster layers,
the tileindex should be a shapefile. For CONNECTIONTYPE OGR layers, any OGR
supported datasource can be a tileindex. Normally the location should contain
the path to the tile file relative to the shapepath, not relative to the
tileindex itself. If the DATA parameter contains a value then it is added to
the end of the location. When a tileindex layer is used, it works similarly to
directly referring to a file, but any supported feature source can be used (ie.
postgres, oracle)."

However, I remembered vaguely that I had read something about storing tileindex
in PostGIS (perhaps it was Armin). After reading old mails and a few trials and
errors I managed to use Spatialite as a tileindex. Only after that I understood
that the "layername" and "timeindex layer" mean the name of another layer in
the mapfile. and found this document
http://mapserver.org/ogc/wms_time.html#example-of-wms-t-with-postgis-tile-index-for-raster-imagery

An example like this somewhere linked with the tileindex item in the
documentation could save some time for others.

LAYER
        NAME "MS_tileindex_layer"
        TYPE POLYGON
        CONNECTIONTYPE OGR
        CONNECTION "tileindex.sqlite"
        DATA "Spatialite_tileindex_layer"
    END

LAYER
        NAME "raster_layer"
        STATUS ON
        TYPE RASTER
        TILEINDEX "MS_tileindex_layer"

Side effect with using the tileindex layer is that it will be included in the
WMS layers but obviously there is no way to hide it.

-Jukka Rahkonen-