Hi Jeff

I may well try that!  The trouble is I have a stack of attributes in a
Access db which I was joining onto the KML data.  I need the complete
dataset for an ArcGIS Server data service anyway so a shapefile seemed to be
a good way to join it all and assist with that (will end up in SDE) and my
mapfile dataset too.  I had already read the page you mentioned and all is
in place (I am using the MS4W PHP/mapscript set-up on IIS) and my original
ISO flavoured version labels up nicely - it just breaks some of the query
functionality (though it shouldn't - which is why I wonder if some of the
characters are badly formed)!

Thanks for the advice

Chris

Hi Chris,