In another tortured thread I am seeking advice on WMS with MapScript. My
ultimate intent is to provide MapServer layers in OL/Gmaps/(some_other) web
app. I need to use MapScript because of the flexibility and freedom it gives me
in querying my datasources, and in constructing the map.

Do I have to use WMS? What, if any, are the alternative? I notice that
MapServer now has a `mode=tile` that is designed with Gmaps kinda app in mind.
Is that a better mode? Would that work with OL as well? Or with Leaflet or some
other client-side web mapping framework?

Its been a while since I have used MapServer extensively for creating a
full-fledged app, but the time to do is coming up now. I would really
appreciate any advice on this front.