G'day Brent,

On 03/03/2012, at 4:13 AM, mapserver-users-requ...@lists.osgeo.org wrote:

> Hopefully someone here can help.
>
> I have about 50Gb of high resolution aerial photos (geotiffs) to set up as a
> cached WMS service.
>
> We have a mapserver setup ready to use, with backups, etc. already sorted.
> The dataset is competely static.
>
> I'd like to set up MapProxy or Tilecache as a tiled WMS service for an
> OpenLayers front end, and possible other public use.
>
> I'm happy with a dynamically populated cache, rather than a pre-filled one,
> so the cache is built up as it is used.
>
> Can anyone experienced in this area suggest what sort of time is reasonable
> to expect a competent team to set this up in a professional way, with
> reasonable supporting docs, etc? Remembering we have a supported server to
> work with.
>
> It has been asked for by a small local environmental interest group with zero
> funds, and I need to get a reasonable commercial cost for such an exercise to
> start with.

We are happy with tilecache - probably several orders of magnitude improvement
in speed, but more importantly was the reduced pressure on the cpu for tiled
maps.

I suspect others are right - if you want to install tile cache, '''and you know
what you are doing''', 35 minutes is about right (I did it yesterday on my
laptop with the current .tar.gz for a workshop)

If you want a quick summary of the steps to do this, I suspect another hour
should be adequate.

But, if you want a bomb-proof explanation of how to re-install it with
troubleshooting guide, maybe three days is reasonable - my experience is that
working guides that we are happy with internally are often not acceptable to
external organisations, so you can probably specify that you are happy for the
dot point form.

I would however quote three days for MapProxy, because I have no experience
with it…

cheers

Ben