On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 09:03, Rahkonen Jukka <jukka.rahko...@mmmtike.fi> wrote:
> Stephen Woodbridge wrote:
>
>> On 3/21/2012 11:18 PM, Ian Walberg wrote:
>> > Folks,
>> >
>> > We are using tif format images and getting good map rendering
>> > performance.
>> >
>> > However the image file size could do with reducing a little.
>> >
>> > Anyone got experience of what compression options we have
>> that have the
>> > least impact on performance?
>>
>> My experience of working with USGS DOQQ satellite imagery in GeoTiff
>> files, was that the amount of compression really did not make a
>> significant reduction in size. We used internally tiled tiff
>> files with
>> overviews and had over 15TB of imagery online. There are
>> other formats
>> that provide higher compression rates like MrSID and others, but
>> depending on the format the behavior characteristics vary
>> greatly and I
>> do not have any recent stats or comparisons of size versus
>> performance
>> versus format.
>

> Hi,
>
> I took numbers from one of our orthoimage set
>
> Uncompressed tiff files from the contractor
>  667 File(s) 289 260 585 944 bytes
>
> What we have on server disk after running
> gdal_translate -co COMPRESS=JPEG -co PHOTOMETRIC=YCBCR
>  667 File(s) 21 411 672 702 bytes

I suspect you'll get superior access performance if you add -co
TILED=yes to that command (and to your gdaladdo overview creation
also).
>From my experience, tiled tiffs with jpeg compression and overviews
was by far the best compromise between disk usage and access
performance, provided the jpeg destructive compression isn't a
showstopper for your particular application.

--
thomas