Andrea,

This is the way mapserver should work, so it sounds like a bug in trunk. LABELCACHE ON shoudl be the default case and you do not need to explicitly put it in the mapfile. Make sure you do not have FORCE ON on any of your LABEL blocks as this make that label blind to the label cache mechanism.

Ideally if you can make a trival mapfile that reproduces this and include it in a bug, I'm sure someone will resolve it quickly.

-Steve W