Hi,

The question, if I understand is correctly, is relevant. In EPSG:4326 shortest
distance between two points is better expressed as a curve than as a straight
linestring. However, Mapserver does not support curves of any kind.

You may find some workaround from GDAL. Ogr2ogr is having a "segmentize" option
for this purpose. It does not support real curves either, but it creates
intermediate points so that linestrings are shorter and thus follow the curve
better. See http://gdal.org/ogr2ogr.html

-Jukka Rahkonen-