Evidently I need to rerun the mapserver build adding --with-GDAL and and
--with-proj. There are .png files referenced in my .map file. The goal is to
maintain all the data in PostgreSQL and PostGIS. Now that they have raster
support I can hopefully dump the .pngs and I then won't need GDAL. Right? Hope
there's nothing else missing.

I've not gone the route of ubuntuGIS, the latest (unstable) version of which
includes Mapserver 6.0.3, because it was unclear to me how I would install from
it only what I need, and other instructions seemed to presume some familiarity
with PPA concepts and processes that I do not have. Nonetheless, I attempted to
follow some instructions I found involving the "apt-get-repository" command,
but this command was not found by my Ubuntu 12.04.

The results of your test:

vince@gameserver:/usr/local/src/mapserver-6.0.3$ shp2img -m
/var/www/eunomi0/www/maps/eunomi0.map -o junk.png
loadSymbol(): Unknown identifier. Parsing error near (PATTERN):(line 16) <br>

vince@gameserver:/usr/local/src/mapserver-6.0.3$ gdb shp2img
GNU gdb (Ubuntu/Linaro 7.4-2012.04-0ubuntu2) 7.4-2012.04
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-linux-gnu".
<http://bugs.launchpad.net/gdb-linaro/>...
Reading symbols from /usr/local/src/mapserver-6.0.3/shp2img...(no debugging
symbols found)...done.
(gdb) run -m /var/www/eunomi0/www/maps/eunomi0.map -o junk.png
Starting program: /usr/local/src/mapserver-6.0.3/shp2img -m
/var/www/eunomi0/www/maps/eunomi0.map -o junk.png
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libthread_db.so.1".
msRasterLayerIsOpen(): Image handling error. Rasters queries only supported
with GDAL support enabled. <br>
[...]
loadProjection(): Projection library error. Projection support is not
available. <br>
[Inferior 1 (process 11562) exited with code 01]
(gdb) bt
No stack.
(gdb) quit