Hello Thomas,

> In FastCGI mode, a connection will be kept open during the
> lifecycle of the fastcgi process, i.e. the connection will
> not be closed at the end of a request.

Damn, you're right. Had a look at the code and tracking down the
chain I saw:

  mapserv.c: msFreeMapServObj()
  maptemplate.c: msFreeMap()
  mapobject.c: msCloseConnections()
  mapfile.c: vtable->LayerCloseConnection() [for each layer]

But PostGIS layers don't provide a LayerCloseConnection() and use the
pooling API instead - and that is the magic that keeps the connection.
Sorry for the confusion.

> It should be noted that these limitations would also apply to a
> homemade mapscript script that reuses a mapObj for multiple requests.

I overcame that problem by using msCopyMap(). It's not that elegant than

using separate datastructure for service config and work data but still
avoids the costly invocation of the parser.

Regards