On 6/10/2013 7:07 PM, Robert Sanson wrote:
Sounds all very complicated. I would advise that you choose a single
projection that will work across your entire are and then re-project
your imagery first, and then build your image datastore around that.

I would agree with this that if htere are not other contraints on the problem this is often the best way to go. But that will not owrk if his users HAVE to have the data in UTM projection for some reason.

-Steve

"Evans, James R Civ USAF ACC 84 RADES/SCZE"
<james.ev...@hill.af.mil> 11/06/2013 10:48 a.m. >>>
So, I'm guessing there's no easy way to automate this?  Even looking
at the states, some of the states are in two zones, and Texas is
across 3 zones. At least the naming convention of the files indicate
the UTM zone.  For instance:
m_2408002_ne_17_1_20100422_201001123.jp2, is in zone 17.  As far as I
can tell, all the files in a particular directory are all in the
same UTM zone.  I could create a layer for each UTM zone across
CONUS, but that's not going to be particularly useful to my users.
I'm thinking of making a layer for each state.  For the stats that
cross zones, there will probably be two layers.  For Texas, there
would be Texas_east, Texas_middle, and Texas_west.  I will probably
limit visibility until zoomed in sufficiently to see the whole state
on the screen anyway, since the continental view of this data is
pretty crappy anyway.  So now it seems like it will be a lot of grunt
work just copying these directories up to the server, and going
through and creating a shape file index for each state.  For states
in more than one UTM, there would be more than one shape.  Then I'll
have to add a layer for to my mapfile for each shapefile, using the
correct projection. Is there an easier way?  I'm starting with
Oklahoma, which is also in three UTM zones.  I'll get that working
before moving on.  Any suggestions on making this pretty would be
welcomed.  :-)

-----Original Message----- From: Stephen Woodbridge
[mailto:wood...@swoodbridge.com] Sent: Monday, June 10, 2013 12:34
PM To: Evans, James R Civ USAF ACC 84 RADES/SCZE Cc:
mapserver-users@lists.osgeo.org Subject: Re: [mapserver-users] Best
way to import 4.5TB of imagery?

On 6/10/2013 12:57 PM, Evans, James R Civ USAF ACC 84 RADES/SCZE