Bob,

Checkout this page:
http://williams.best.vwh.net/sunrise_sunset_algorithm.htm

-Steve

On 3/3/2014 11:55 AM, Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) wrote:
Hi Stephen,

Yes, that looks like the correct route for this, time/location settings, at
least to make something work globally.  The display is for a mapping interface
that will most likely be location aware.  I've found a couple of references to
some LIBs for finding terminator, and I think a temperature curve could be
defined based on optimum settings from day/dusk/night views to make the map
readable for all (natural) lighting conditions.  At least that's a place to
start.

Bobb

-----Original Message-----
From: mapserver-users-boun...@lists.osgeo.org
[mailto:mapserver-users-boun...@lists.osgeo.org] On Behalf Of Stephen Woodbridge
Sent: Monday, March 03, 2014 10:46 AM
To: mapserver-users@lists.osgeo.org
Subject: Re: [mapserver-users] Color temperature control (night-time viewing of
maps)

On 3/3/2014 11:30 AM, Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) wrote:
All,

So, I've been reading up on nighttime colors for electronic display(s).
I was wondering if anyone has any pointers on information about
applying color temperature corrections to displays for nighttime
viewing.  I'm in need of providing this functionality to some night crew
workers.

My first thought was to apply some sort of RGB algorithm to the
mapfile color settings.  Then I thought maybe a middleware  processor
routine (between MapServer and the browser) might be a better
approach, or possibly using something in the browser . . .

I'm only looking at setting up distinct color settings at the moment.
Maybe 3-5 ranges to start with.  I do know that some Mac hardware has
some display monitoring for color temperature.  I would prefer to do
something that could apply globally however.

Maybe there are Browser functions that can be applied to the problem
(I haven't found anything specific there yet though.

Bob,

One simple way to deal with this is to have two mapfiles with different colors
setup on them and then you a substitution to switch between the day and night
mapfile.

I wrote some code years ago that detects the day-night night terminator line in
javascript to you can make the change. you need to know the browser location to
compute this accurately. but a simple [day/night] toggle button would allow the
user to switch manually.

-Steve W