Thanks for the reply.
It should be possible to set these in IIS in the web.config file as outlined here: http://www.iis.net/configreference/system.webserver/fastcgi/application/environmentvariables

        <fastCgi>
            <application fullPath="C:\Mapserver\bin\mapserv.exe">
                <environmentVariables>
<environmentVariable name="CURL_CA_BUNDLE" value="C:\Mapserver\bin\curl\curl-ca-bundle.crt" />
                </environmentVariables>
            </application>
        </fastCgi>

    <handlers>
<add name="MapServerFastCgi" path="*" verb="*" type="" modules="FastCgiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\Mapserver\bin\mapserv.exe" resourceType="Unspecified" requireAccess="Script" allowPathInfo="false" preCondition="" responseBufferLimit="4194304" />
    </handlers>
<http://www.iis.net/configreference/system.webserver/fastcgi/application/environmentvariables>
However I've tried at all levels (app, web site, server) with no luck.