Looking for a bit broader input on this idea. OGR supports SDE too so that's
another mechanism for users to use SDE with MapServer 7.0 and up...

Steve

From: mapserver-dev-boun...@lists.osgeo.org
[mapserver-dev-boun...@lists.osgeo.org] on behalf of Howard Butler
[how...@hobu.co]
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 3:30 PM
To: mapserver-...@lists.osgeo.org Mailing List
Subject: [mapserver-dev] Motion: Retire SDE Support for MapServer 7.0

All,

As the former maintainer and current non-maintainer of the SDE MapServer
driver, I would like to motion that we we retire it from MapServer for the
upcoming release. There are three reasons to consider removal at this time:

1) Availability of the ArcSDE SDK is extremely low (can you even get ESRI to
give it to you?)
2) Viability of direct-database query from PostGIS, Oracle, and SQL Server have
obsoleted SDE
3) No current MapServer developers have the ability to test any code changes to
the SDE driver.

Howard