Based on Tom's comments I figured that I'd better try out mappyfile. I ran
into a couple issues.
Installing on Ubuntu 18.04 required python-setuptools (sudo apt-get install
python-setuptools)
mappyfile validated failed on the '%' modulo operator in an expression:
    EXPRESSION ( ([height] % 50) = 0 )

On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 7:10 PM Kralidis, Tom (EC) <tom.krali...@canada.ca>
wrote:

> We're using mappyfile in our projects and I must say it is a fantastic tool
> for mapfile composition workflows.  Great job!
>
> Thanks for the release (and thanks to Hobu who introduced me to Seth, who
> introduced me to mappyfile at the code sprint in Bonn earlier this year).
>
> ..Tom

Richard W. Greenwood, PLS
www.greenwoodmap.com