Thanks for the explanation about the redirect; that makes perfect sense now.

It would be great if there were an "unsafeSSL" option like Jukka mentioned GDAL
has; figured I should at least ask whether something like that existed.  At
least I now have confidence that I'm not missing some more convenient solution
and that configuring the CA bundle correctly is the best course of action at
the moment.

That's some great info you put together in the HTTPS document Jeff!

This message, along with any attachments, is for the designated recipient(s)
only and may contain privileged, proprietary, or otherwise confidential
information. If this message has reached you in error, kindly destroy it
without review and notify the sender immediately.  Any other use of such
misdirected e-mail by you is prohibited.  Where allowed by local law,
electronic communications with Zurich and its affiliates, including e-mail and
instant messaging (including content), may be scanned for the purposes of
information security and assessment of internal compliance with company policy.