I'm ill equipped to answer your question directly.

However, as you delve into the world of vector tiles I'd strongly suggest taking a look a FlatGeoBuf (.fgb). It's an index format supported by GDAL and MapServer. It's very fast and painless.

The home page has demo's for openlayers, leaflet and mapbox, using a single 12GB census data file. Leaflet seems to be the most responsive.

http://flatgeobuf.org/