Hi Stefan,

I maintain 2 documents that try to handle those questions:

- raster optimization: https://mapserver.org/optimization/raster.html
- vector optimization: https://mapserver.org/optimization/vector.html

Formats are still important. You'll notice that I had done a performance comparison for the vector types, which I still find applicable.

Assuming that you mean the source format of your data (and not the output format for the WMS service), for raster sources I still rely on the speed of a properly indexed GeoTIFF. (yes the cool kids may use other formats ha)

In terms of output formats, I recently had some back-and-forth with an admin of an Esri WMS service, about their use of output formats in their WMS service - it seems the format discussion is never-ending, and as important today in year 2024 ha.

Hope your summer is going well,

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
GatewayGeo: Developers of MS4W, & offering MapServer Consulting/Dev