Bill,

I ran into a similar issue, basically the question came to if you can specify the projection inside the request URL
I think you'd be able to put it in the HTML template.

The value associated with map_PROJECTION has commas in it that need encodeing.

http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/gnoc/mapserver/ grnoc.map&mapext=-125%2024%20-60%2070&mode=map&map_PROJECTION=proj% 3dortho,lon_0%3d-90,lat_0%3d-10