Thanks for your patience...

I found libgdal.so.1 in /home/alttwois/local/lib

I created the script named mapserv as follows

 #!/bin/sh
 export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/home/alttwois/local/lib"
 exec /home/alttwois/public_html/cgi-bin/mapserv.real

On running ./mapserver -v, I get the same error message as before

/home/alttwois/public_html/cgi-bin/mapserv.real: error while loading shared libraries: libgdal.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Tara

Gregor Mosheh wrote:
Tara Athan wrote:
I have limited access to the webserver.

Good to know.

Don't Options 2 and 3 depend on there being a file libgdal.so.1 somewhere? I cannot find any such file.

If you sucessfuly did a make and make install as you describe, there should be a directory /home/alttwois/local/lib and inside it should be among other things libgdal.so

If not, then backtrack and tell us how your GDAL/OGR build went.

If so, then /home/alttwois/local/lib is the library path. Create a shell script and stick it into cgi-bin:
  #!/bin/sh
  export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/home/alttwois/local/lib"
  exec /path/to/cgi-bin/mapserv
That wrapper should do the trick, for both command line and CGI.

--
My e-mail delivery has been unreliable lately, so I am asking for
return receipts from all my email messages.

Tara Athan
Principal, Alternatives to Invasive Species
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
707-485-1198
PO Box 415
Redwood Valley, CA 95470