Thanks Richard (& Bob),

On 21/12/2007, at 11:02 PM, Richard Greenwood wrote:

The trick to getting the query result into your main map is to make
the TEMPLATE for the query layer be the main map. So in your map file
the template for 'stops' should be whatever your main map html file
is.

This was the trick I needed! A little bit of tweaking, and now it is nearly perfect - so I will endeavour to write something for the howto site. What would be an appropriate heading for this - "Reverse queries"?

Some other issues that struck me during this process :

Expressions - there used to be a page on this on the MapServer site, but I can't find it now - is it just me. Subsequent to this -

Validation Patterns - the need for this this snuck past me - I confess I just installed William Kyngesbury's binaries for 5, without reading the changes. However, it deserves a special mention for the useful error message, which give me enough of a hint to be able to find out what I needed to do!

METADATA
        layer_title "Farm Boundaries"
        qstring_validation_pattern '\d*'
END