Thomas Hackert <thack...@nexgo.de> writes:

> I am not sure, how (and if) I can upload to f.a.o., so I will attach it
> to this mail. Sorry for the inconvenience ... :(

No inconvenience at all, mail is perfect.

And indeed, the strace was illuminating. I think the issue is right here:

[pid 32673] bind(14, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(3306),
sin_addr=inet_addr("127.0.0.1")}, 16) = -1 EADDRNOTAVAIL (Cannot assign
requested address)

The server fails to start, because it cannot setup a socket to listen on the
loopback interface on 127.0.0.1

The manpage for bind(2) says:

       EADDRNOTAVAIL
              A  nonexistent  interface was requested or the requested address
              was not local.

I get the same error on my machine if I try to bind a socket to a non-existing
interface. You can try this netcat command to do the same bind, it will
probably fail in the same way:

    nc -l -s 127.0.0.1 -p 3306

So the problem most likely is that your system has a non-standard networking
setup, with the normal loopback address 127.0.0.1 not configured. The default
configuration file has this line:

    bind-address                = 127.0.0.1

This will fail if the address 127.0.0.1 is not available on the system
(normally it is).

So I think you can edit /etc/mysql/my.cnf and change this line to use a valid
IP address, or replace it with skip-networking to not use any IP address. Then
try starting the server and see if it works. If it does, `apt-get install -f`
might fix the installation.

Can you confirm that your system has no 127.0.0.1 address? (It is somewhat
annoying that the install fails in this case, but it does seem a rather rare
setup).

The second question is why you did not get any error log output with messages
about this problem. I suppose this might be because you had no syslog
installed. Elena gave you suggestions for how to resolve/investigate this
further. But let me know if you have more problems with this.

Thanks for your persistence in helping me get to the bottom of this!

 - Kristian.